Columbus Open Studio & Stage (COSS) seeks to expand the art and performance audience within the City of Columbus. This two-day event deepens the relationship between creative and community. If selected, COSS artists will open their home or rented studio to the public, demonstrate their process and sell artwork directly to the public.
The COSS team provides resources for tour artists including how-to tips, guidelines for selling art and marketing tools. Artists will receive professional feedback and participate in a Preview Exhibition. COSS artists will be promoted on social media, the COSS website and the tour map. COSS will employ aggressive marketing as part of Greater Columbus Arts Councils’s Art Makes Columbus campaign to deliver an audience directly to the artists’ door. It is our mission to enhance the public understanding of the artistic practice and provide an exclusive look at studios and performance spaces.
- COSS is a juried event. The deadline to apply for COSS 2019 is April 12. Click here to apply.
- Open to visual artists within I-270.
- Studios may be in a home or a rented space (home studios are strongly encouraged).
- Studios must be suitable for the public to visit with easy access for visitors and parking. Restroom facilities are optional.
- Only artists with a significant body of work to display will be considered.
- Artists who have previously participated in COSS are eligible to apply.
Requirements for Participation
- Artists are required to open their studio for the entire duration of both tour days (September 14-15) from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- During event weekend, artists must demonstrate their method or process to the public.
- Artists must provide at least TWO volunteers (sales assistant and door greeter) who will be present for the duration of the event.
- Artists and their volunteer sales assistant MUST attend Artist Orientation (mid-May from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., lunch provided).
- Artists must provide a minimum of one piece of art for inclusion in the COSS Preview Exhibition.
- During tour hours, artists must place COSS tour signage at the street and entrance to the studio.
- Artists with studios at “Group Sites” must apply individually. A “Group Site” is defined as a multi-studio space (e.g., 400 W. Rich Street).
- Artists must complete a participation survey after the event.
- $25 application fee (non-refundable).